Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes - Hardcover - Random House - Author Interview

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes - Hardcover - Random House - Author Interview: "Q: What do you, as a science journalist rather than a doctor, bring to the subject that will change our minds?

A: Perspective. I had no vested interest. I wasn’t taught in graduate or medical school that something was true and so never thought to question it. As a journalist, I question everything. And because my initial training was in physics and I had spent the last 20 years writing about controversial science, I know what’s required to do good science, the need to be skeptical of everything and, perhaps most importantly, to be skeptical of your own pet theories. Once I started my research, I just followed the evidence, not just a study here and there that supports a given point of view but all of the science. All the disciplines, not just a given one. I had no investment in any particular point of view, though I had my hunches based on preliminary research. Some of these hunches turned out to be right; some were wrong. One advantage I had working in the 21st century was that I could do an immense amount of research in a relatively short period of time."

No comments: