Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bill Gates, Sr.: Why I Wrote Showing Up for Life

Bill Gates, Sr.: Why I Wrote Showing Up for Life: "I believe there's power in sharing stories. My dad, who dropped out of school in the 8th grade to help support his family, didn't live long enough to see how our story has unfolded. And, as I enter my mid-80s, I know that I likely won't see how life unfolds for my own grandchildren as they move beyond young adulthood. I can at least help them to understand mine.

Like my son, I am an optimist. I believe in the combined power of men and women who 'show up' for the people they love and the causes they believe in. I've seen the power of public will to take on and surmount great challenges and I believe our society works better when people think less about 'me and mine' and more about 'us and ours.'"

No comments: