Friday, October 17, 2008

Magazine Preview - Will Gun-Totting, Churchgoing White Guys Pull the Lever for Barack Obama? - NYTimes.com

Magazine Preview - Will Gun-Totting, Churchgoing White Guys Pull the Lever for Barack Obama? - NYTimes.com: "Which, by the way, is a different argument than race,” Obama continued, pausing to make sure I understood. “I’m not making an argument that the resistance is simply racial. It’s more just that I’m different in all kinds of ways. I’m different even for black people. I went through similar stuff when I ran against Bobby Rush on the all-black South Side of Chicago.” In that race, a Democratic primary for Congress in 2000, Rush, the black incumbent, handed Obama his first and only political defeat. “It’s like: ‘Who is this guy? Where’d he come from?’ So that’s part of it."

No comments: